Friday, January 25, 2013

Raw Detox Day 1

I've always wanted to try a detox but thought it would be counterproductive seeing that I am a smoker.  I finally decided to quit and soon after saw a Groupon for a juice detox.  It reminded me that I wanted to try something like that, but I decided that I could probably find something less expensive and to it on my own.  I asked a friend who always posts healthy stuff on Facebook and she recommended a raw food detox. 
Wikipedia explains it as: "Raw foodism (or rawism) is a diet consisting of uncooked, unprocessed, and often organic foods or wild foods.
Depending on the type of lifestyle and results desired, raw food diets may include a selection of raw fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds (including sprouted whole grains such as gaba rice), eggs, fish (such as sashimi), meat (such as carpaccio), and non-pasteurized/non-homogenized dairy products (such as raw milk, raw milk cheese, and raw milk yogurt).[1]"
 I looked into it and decided to do it.  I got my Aunt and another friend on board to do it with me and we were going to start on the 29th but after getting back from Puerto Vallarta I decided that I needed to start sooner.  We decided to do our best but not be hardcore about it.  So I went to Aldi and stocked up on fruits and vegetables.

I spent $14 and got:
  • 2 Avocados
  • 1 Bag Romaine Lettuce
  • 1 Bag Green Beans
  • 1 Bag Baby Carrots
  • 1 Bag Celery
  • 3 Green Peppers
  • 3 Colored Peppers
  • 6 Kiwis
  • 6 Bananas
  • 1 Baby Watermelon
 So for Day 1 I had:
  • 1 1/2 cup black coffee  (coffee is on the "no" list, but it was less than my normal intake)
  • 1 Serving Green Juice (It's a premade juice smoothie that contains 2 2/3 apples, 1/2 banana, 1/3 kiwi, 1/3 mango, 1300 mg spirlina, 400mg chlorella, 100mg broccoli, 100mg spinach, 50mg blue green algae, 50mg garlic, 75mg barley grass, 75mg wheat grass, 50mg ginger, and 50mg parsley) 
  • 1 Apple
  • 2 Cups Watermelon
  • 1/2 Lunch Salad (I made it myself and it contains 1 Head Romaine Lettuce, 1 Celery Stalk, 1/3 Cucumber, 1/2 Red Pepper, and 1 Cup Green Beans)  I had some Blue Cheese that was going to expire soon so I added that, but it is on the "no" list.  I did not like the raw green beans.
  • Dinner was a little bit of cheating: 1 Grilled Chicken Breast, 1/4 Green Pepper, 1/4 Red Pepper, and 1 1/2 Cups Romaine Lettuce with about 1 Tablespoon of Berry Vinigarette Dressing (the dresssing look ok for the majority of it).  I was still hungry so I had a Banana afterwards.
I think Day 1 went well.  Next week will be more indepth and since there are 3 of us we will be more inclined to try different things.  Aunt Mary is going to make an approved salad dressing and we may try almond butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment