Thursday, January 10, 2013

Christmas Yule Log

When I was young my mom would always get this beautiful huge Yule Log for Christmas.  It was cake rolled up like a Ho Ho then made to look like and actual log with mushrooms and everything. 

Here is the Wiki:    What's the deal on a Yule Log Cake?   (From the link you can see a picture to get an idea of what a professional one looks like)

So I decided for Christmas 2011 to get one to bring for my mom.  I haven't seen one in probably over 10 years.  I figured that La Grange in pretty trendy so I ordered one.  I picked it up on the way to our Christmas Festivities.  1) It had white frosting with little silver ball sprinkles, it DID NOT look like a log (I don't have a pic) 2) It was pretty expensive ($35) 3) It didn't taste that great.

I decided then to make one myself for my mom for Christmas 2012!

Of course I had to enlist the assistance of cake decorator extraordinaire Kim.  I had ideas on how to make the cake roll and we needed to go through a bit of trial and error. 

Attempt 1:  Found a "yule log" recipe for the cake, decided to make it and ice the inside before bringing it to Kim's to decorate outside and learn the art of chocolate butter cream. 


.
The cake needs help.  Just regular cake mix was the way to go.




  



  The frosting and decorations went really well on the first attempt. 

                                              Even the meringue mushrooms were awesome.




 After 4 or so attempts here was the final product for Christmas 2012:  (Mike wanted to play with the leftovers, his is on the right)






No comments:

Post a Comment